Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Global Cooling

Last summer I was a believer of Global Warming. Now? Surely it's been cold enough to keep those glaciers frozen for another few years.  I'm just grateful I don't live in Wisconsin--my mother-in-law, a teacher, had school cancelled due to the cold. Brrr. 

If you live in Salt Lake City, you may be wondering what I'm talking about! The Salt Lake Valley seems to be hovering around average temperatures for January. Highs in the mid-30's. Not bad. But every day as I drive to Utah County, I watch my car thermometer drop. This morning it was 22 degrees when I left for work. 25 minutes later in Pleasant Grove it was 12! I left work a little after 5:00. Temperature: 20 degrees. I watched the sun set and the temperature rise to 37 by the time I got home. Crazy!

This photo is of the farm across the street from Close To My Heart. The grass and the trees have thick ice on them every morning. Though this photo doesn't do it justice, it really is a beautiful sight.

I could blame the cold on Utah County in general. But I won't. Though I don't prefer to live there, I received an excellent education there as well as employment for almost 7 years. I prefer to chalk the cold up to the "Utah Lake Effect." Lakes can be pretty mysterious, you know. In SLC, we have "lake stink" every so often. And I've heard Bear Lake has a monster. 

And I'm sure the pollution and inversion don't help either. We should all park our cars and walk. Oh wait--the air is so bad there's a health advisory out. Plus it's cold. No walking. Just stay home. 

Or better yet: Go to Disneyland! That's where I'm heading this weekend! Well, not exactly to Disneyland--that would be torture for a pregnant woman who loves Space Mountain and the Indiana Jones ride. But to Anaheim, to the Craft & Hobby Association tradeshow. I can't wait. And if you live or work in Utah County, you can be happy that my car won't be polluting the air for a few days. Maybe that will help warm things up!




1 comment:

  1. Can I come in your suitcase? I want some warmth more than anything. Really, I can compact myself into a small enough ball and put my feet out Flintstone style to help you. Enjoy the sunshine for us all, and if you can bring some back for us :)

    ReplyDelete